We’ve added some important information below covering the three main services, Gas, Electricity and Water, what to do in an emergency and how to best use these services. In addition we’ve included information on condensation, insurance and our fees.

All gas appliances supplied by your landlord will be checked annually by a certified gas safe engineer. As part of this safety check they will also check that the carbon monoxide monitor is in good working order. It is essential that you allow access to our contractor to carry out these checks as they are required by law and could save your life.

Carbon monoxide detectors save lives – please check the batteries regularly and don’t just wait for the annual check.

TOP TIPS

  • If you smell gas turn off the supply at the mains, open all the windows and call the national emergency number on 0800 111 999; do NOT use a mobile or landline within the property go outside or to a neighbour.
  • DO NOT smoke, turn on any electrical appliance or switch or re-enter the property until told it is safe to do so.
  • Turn your heating on for an hour a couple of times during the summer, this will reduce the chance of it not working when you really need it in the winter.

Portable electrical appliances supplied by your landlord will be tested by a certified electrical engineer. As a tenant it is your responsibility to ensure your personal items are safe to use; as a general rule unsafe appliances will cause the fuse board to trip to minimise serious harm.

TOP TIPS

  • If you lose power to your home check the fuse board, if it has tripped reset the trip some fuse boards are so sensitive they will trip when a lamp goes and will reset straight away.
  • If the reset doesn’t work unplug all items from their sockets, reset the trip. If the reset works slowly plug the items back in turning them on working your way to the kitchen. If it is a faulty appliance that has caused the problem as soon as you plug that item in it will trip again. Do not use the item again and dispose of it safely
  • Do not use extension leads
  • Do not take electrical appliances into the bathroom or near any source of water.
  • Never leave food cooking unattended
  • Never leave candles burning unattended and ALWAYS trim the wicks

You can catch Legionnaires’ disease if you breathe in tiny droplets of water containing bacteria that cause the infection.

This bacteria can develop water pipes, taps and shower heads when they are not in use for an extended period of time; when you start to use them again this can result in this bacteria becoming airborne and subsequently inhaled.

The NHS website states that it’s usually caught in places like hotels, hospitals or offices where the bacteria have got into the water supply. It’s very rare to catch it at home, but we consider the following advice is good practice.

TOP TIPS

  • Run any taps or showers that remain unused for more than a week for a few minutes to refresh any water that may be sat in the pipes.
  • Ensure that all taps and showers are kept free from lime scale
  • If you go away for more than two weeks runs the taps and showers on their hottest setting for two to three minutes, whilst the extractor fan is running or window is open. Be careful not to generate a mist or spray, this can be achieved by removing the shower head and placing it over the plug hole before turning on the water.

Condensations happens when the warm air we breathe out, the heat from our bodies and the warm air or steam produced when we cook, shower or bath hits cold surfaces or lands in places where there is limited movement of air. Good examples of where this will occur is behind furniture pushed up tightly against the wall, in and around windows and in corners of the rooms. Appearance of mould or bubbling of wallpaper or paint can often be the first signs.

It is your responsibility to keep condensation down as much as possible or it will lead to unhealthy living conditions and poor health. Condensation is not a problem with the property it is a problem caused by lack of ventilation; if you notice mould wipe down with anti-fungal spray.

TOP TIPS

  • MONEY SAVING TIP – Moist air takes significantly more energy to heat, so keeping warm moist air in your home actually cost you more money than letting it through venting and heating fresh colder but drier air.
  • Always use the extractor fan or open a window when cooking and leave for at least 20 minutes after the cooking has finished.
  • Open windows regularly or leave on vent to allow the damp air to escape.
  • Do not dry clothes on radiators.
  • Always use the extractor fans when bathing or showering and leave them running for 20 minutes after you have finished.
  • Try to maintain a warm temperature within your home to prevent cold spots developing. If you don’t use a particular room and don’t want to heat it keep the door to that room closed.
  • When running a bath put the cold water in first.
  • Do not push furniture against the wall; always allow room for air to circulate.
  • Do not use gas or paraffin heaters

Protect your belongings against theft or damage. The landlords insurance only covers the building. Tenant’s belongings, furnishings or equipment within the Property are not covered by the landlord’s insurance policy.

An insurance policy can be an inexpensive way to further safe guard your deposit; we do not require you to take insurance as part of your tenancy, but it is highly recommended the tenant to hold a good contents insurance policy to include tenant liability cover.

Tenants’ liability insurance covers the occupier for accidental damage to third-party items in addition to their own, so you can claim on your insurance if you spill a glass of red on your landlord’s suede sofa or drop a hot iron on the carpet.

We’ve included a PDF below for you to download which includes a breakdown of our fee structure.

Download Tenant Fees Schedule


CONTACT OUR AGENTS

Get in touch with a member of staff today to see how we can help you to rent and and manage your property.